To Apply for a 2019 Special Grant
The Special Grants program was initiated by a vote of the congregation in 1996. A percentage of the unrestricted endowment income is allocated annually for a Special Grants program, to be administered by a grants committee reporting to the First Church Cabinet.
2017 SPECIAL GRANTS
The First Church of Wenham’s Special Grants Committee is very pleased to announce that we have awarded grant money to the following applicants –
1. Healing Abuse Working for Change (“HAWC”) $800 in support of their Parent Child Trauma Recovery Program
2. Metta Partners $3,000 providing teacher training at schools in Myanmar (Burma) to prepare students for the National Exams. “Metta Geha” is a orphanage.
3. Soul Cove $2,000 supports a series of music workshops in local schools and community centers.
4. The Food Project$1,500 to aid in donations of fresh fruits and vegetables to soup kitchens and food pantries on the North Shore. Some of the food is grown in Wenham.
5. Sethule Orphans Trust $5,000 helping to purchase bicycles for school transportation forchildren in rural Zimbabwe.
6. Sharing Foundation $1,000 funding to construct a playground in Prek Char, a remote village in Cambodia
7. Saltonstall School $2,100 allows financial assistance to under- privileged children at the Saltonstall School in Salem, Mass to attend Nature’s Classroom in Ocean Park, Maine
8. Friends of Buker School $500 help in financing a new playground at the Buker Elementary School in Wenham
9. Cole Farnham $300 supporting Cole (FCW member) as he attends a Discipleship Training School in Denver, CO and an Outreach trip to Thailand
10. ACORD $1,000 will be used to purchase reusable food bags
for Food Pantry clients as well as purchase of fresh fruits and vegetables
11. “Amahl” $2,000 to defray costs related to the Christmas Cantata performed by members of FCW Choir and community members
Total awarded = $19,200
As a prequel to next years’ Special Grants application round, we will review the 2017 award recipients again for the congregation in a bit more depth beginning in October to spike interest in the round.
And we would like to remind everyone that we have set 10% of our 2017 budget aside for “ emergency” awards –please speak to any one of the Special Grants Committee.
Special Grants Committee,
Al Johnson and Carol Merriman