The Deacons Welcome You!
The word “deacon” is derived from the Greek diakonos meaning “attendant”. The twelve deacons of First Church Wenham work together to attend to the needs of the congregation both in worship and in the community because we care deeply about First Church and its members.
We work closely with our ministers, Reverend Mike Duda and Reverend Christine Hribar, to plan worship services and other church programs and events, and coordinate our efforts with the other boards and committees of First Church.
Our board meets the 2nd Wednesday of each month during the school year and once or twice during the summer. We try to understand, discuss and represent the various ideas and opinions of the congregation and to come to a common understanding and approach on church policies and initiatives. We also:
- Get to know and support one another throughout the year
- Are challenged by spiritual questions affecting our faith
- Are a caring and collegial group striving to become better Christians and to support the spiritual growth and fellowship of our congregation
To attend to the needs of the congregation we:
- Welcome newcomers
- Work with our minister in planning services
- Oversee and supervise the ministers' work
- Work with the confirmation class
- Arrange for ushers, liturgists and flowers
- Coordinate coffee hour
- Oversee Parish Care
- Serve communion
- Maintain spiritual and pew literature and supplies for worship
- Send caring cards to those who are ill or grieving and have significant birthdays
- Are represented on the Hospitality Committee which sponsors social events
- Are represented on the Church’s Cabinet
We welcome any suggestions toward making the life of our church even more vibrant and meaningful. Please contact a deacon listed below.
- Hal Maddix, Chair
- Tara Bolduc
- Pattie Burnham
- Archie Campbell
- Jim Collins
- Herb Hemenway
- Carolyn Holland
- Betsy Lebel
- Barbara Maddix
- Gretchen Muschamp
- Barbara Scuderi
- Joe Scuderi